Weeekly On-site Covid Testing
AWS highly recommends all students opt-in for weekly testing.
The UAB School of Public Health is collaborating with the Alabama Department of Public Health and the Alabama State Department of Education to offer free and voluntary asymptomatic COVID-19 testing in Alabama K-12 schools to students, faculty, and staff. This program is fully funded by the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services Federal Funds.
The goal of this program is to help stop the “silent spread” of Covid-19, and to keep us learning on campus.
How does it work?
· The COVID-19 testing is voluntary, free, and safe. Parents and guardians give consent for their children K – 7 to be tested. Faculty & Staff may also consent to participate. This is an ongoing program. Once your child is registered, there is no need to re-register them.
· Each Thursday at 11:00 am, our lab representatives come to campus and perform a nasal swab. The swab is the front of the nasal passage (not the “brain” swab!). If there is a week that you do not want your child to be tested, you may contact Annie Damsky (email@example.com, or call the office by 10 am of the testing day.
· Our testing time is scheduled to be least intrusive to the daily rhythm of each class. Test time per student is about 30 seconds, so AWS office staff will escort registered children to the outdoor testing location and back to their class as swiftly as possible.
· The test is a PCR test, and results will be available in 24-hours. Parents/guardians may opt to receive results via text, email, or both. The school will also receive a list of results. Results are not used for research studies. If there is a positive case, information will be shared with ADPH per their requirements. Otherwise, no personal information will be shared with other parties.
· Testing is for asymptomatic students. If you child is at school, they are eligible to be tested. If they are at school, and have a headache or a runny nose, they may still be tested. If students are at home due to a close-contact exposure, but do not have multiple symptoms, they may come to school to be tested.
You must re-register your child for the 2022-2023 school year by clicking here.
-OR- Visit the Admin Office to complete a paper consent form
For more information, please visit sites.uab.edu/covidalk12 or contact Annie Damsky at firstname.lastname@example.org